Monday, February 18, 2013

Since I currently don't have much time, and would like to continue work on the car, I am considering having the interior re-done by professionals. The dashboard cover was replaced 22 years ago, and it was not done terribly well. Also, since I've repainted the car in a non-original color, it no longer matches (and the carpet is faded, and the seat is worn, and... lots of things).
Since my new exterior color is closest to a 1955 Thunderbird red, and the interior is almost identical (different seat cushion pattern, different steering wheel), I'm looking to do it with 1955 T-bird parts. Any way, here are some pictures as it is today.

Here's an overall picture of the interior.

Here's the interior of the passenger door. Note that the window is not installed. This is because I found out that my switch was bad. The motor works from the drivers side (I've already replaced that switch), but trying to install the window running back and forth from the other side doesn't sound fun. I'm just waiting until my next part order is big enough to order the new switch (or, if I can figure out how, to fix the old one - it's only broken in one direction).
 Here's a closer look at the dashboard. Notice how it does not match the body color, and the cover is not attached well. Also, the paint on the lower portion of the dash is chipped, and needs to be redone.

Here's a closer look at the steering wheel. The hole on the left is where the tach goes, but I have that out, trying to fix it. I probably need to get it rebuilt (the tach cable is spinning, but when it's installed on the tach it makes a lot of noise and does not given a consistent reading).
The steering wheel is in quite good condition, but it's paint is faded, and is now the wrong color. The horn ring was re-chromed in 1990, and I think it doesn't need to be redone, just polished up a bit.
The steering column is another question - new one's aren't that expensive, but I'd still like to try some steel wool on it before giving up on it.
 Here's the inside of the drivers side door. The window is installed, and it work. I just need to get the door panel on.
 Here's a closer look at the seat. Again, it's the wrong color. It also has a tear, and the padding is worn from many years of holding up my butt.
 Here's the driver's side floor. The carpet was replaced in 1990, but it faded quite quickly (quite noticeable by 1993, actually). Since then, it's been on a downward trend. I'm not sure what to get that will be more durable, but I'm open to suggestions. Also, this carpet has never really fit well. (I have a replacement brake pedal, but have not been able to get it on - need a bigger hammer).
 Here's the drop curtain. It's always been a bit tight when snapped - I think it was installed wrong. Also, wrong color, etc.
 Here's one of the sun visors. They are in good shape, just need a lot of scrubbing.

 Here's the convertible top. It hasn't been in the car since about 1985. It had a box dropped through it some time before 1983, and was never fixed (an aftermarket hard top was bought to replace it - not shown in these pictures). The frame should be in good condition, but probably needs a paint job and some TLC. The vinyl is a lost cause, as is the weatherstripping. I'd like to replace the vinyl with black canvas. Weatherstripping is available from various catalogs. (You'll also notice the passenger window in that stack - it's broken, and needs to be replaced before it's reinstalled).

Here are the door panels. These are probably a lost cause, but there are several pieces that are salvageable - the arm rest bodies (not the vinyl, the metal is in good shape, too).

2 comments:

  1. Therefore, as you can tell above it requires a good period of time to obtain the beautiful chrome finish on the chrome wheel, once this wheel comes complete as well as in the retail store, it may not be re-chromed or fixed to the original condition.
    Chrome Repair

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good, Derek. This is going to be a heck of a show car when you are done. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete